A Central Hub for Your Road Trip
The Road Trip is a Great American Pastime. Maybe you’re riding in the rumble seat of a vintage Brady Bunch station wagon, or maybe you are flying down a palm lined street on a Harley. Each adventure creates anticipation of the new, builds ties and knits memories of places visited. The Best Western Plus Beach View Lodge is a product of that culture.
To help you with some of the lesser known things to discover, we asked our staff about their favorites. Here are some suggestions:
- Oceanside, CA. Visit the Oceanside Museum of Art or the California Surf Museum. Walk the pier or visit the Top Gun House (where Kelly McGillis lived in the movie) on Pacific Street. Or maybe just hit the waves at one of California’s best surf beaches.
- Escondido, CA. Once you’re tired of zip-lining through the Safari Park (formerly the Wild Animal Park), stroll the quaint downtown area for antiques after stopping for a quick snack at Petersen’s Doughnut Corner. Or visit the Stone Brewery, or any one of a number of other award-winning brew houses.
- Encinitas, CA. Stroll the resurgent beach-adjacent downtown and shop from the luxurious outdoor designs of Gardenology to the thrift store finds of Re-Treads. Enjoy amazing Peruvian food at Q’ero or chicken and dumplings at the hip Moonlight Solace Restaurant. You may even catch a movie at the historic 1928 La Paloma Theater.
- Leucadia, CA. Garden Tour through the San Diego Botanic Garden, a 37-acre xeriscaping heaven or the Self-Realization Center, a meditative space of beautiful ocean-view gardens in the heart of downtown Encinitas. Round off the day with an organic meal at Lotus Café and Juice Bar.
- La Jolla, CA. Romp on to Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve, one of the most beautiful beaches in San Diego County. Stroll the cliff top hiking trails bordered by the rare and protected Torrey Pine, then drive into La Jolla Village for a great locals lunch at The Spot or the too-trendy Burger Lounge.